Sooooo. This might be pretty much the sweetest and most-endearing film I've seen in some time and has all the ingredients of something I just might love: Dolly Parton sing-alongs, Jennifer Aniston with a Southern accent, true teenage girl friendship, and what's that thing you just hardly ever see in cinema anymore? Oh, yeah. INNOCENCE.
Full of body positivity, the complications of mother/daughter relationships and the insecurity that you never quite outgrow, this movie had me in tears more than once. And it also reminded me of some of the girl-power movies that I've loved from the past 20 years: Drop Dead Gorgeous, Sugar & Spice, Whip It, Little Miss Sunshine, Legally Blond and Juno.
And while I don't think I need to warn you about this, I will anyway. Keep your boyfriends and husbands away while you're watching this gem. It's not for them, and they won't get it. And yes, they will ruin it for you. How do I know that? Please. All women do. May I quote the great Dolly Parton when she was asked how she felt about same-sex marriage?
"I think gay couples should be allowed to marry. They should suffer just like the rest of us heterosexuals."
Some joys are for couples and some are for just us girls. This is one of them.
