First off, this is one of the best movies I've seen in a while.
And second, it may even be the best of Spike Lee's many joints.
I'm not sure I can even describe how clever this film is. It takes a subject, that sounds incredibly unbelievable, and manages to play it with a lot of heart and, amazingly, humor. Paying homage to Blaxploitation cinema of the 1970's and a low-key but on-point soundtrack (Brandy, You're a Fine Girl!) this film really takes hold of the moment that was 1971.
Then it smacks you in the face big-time by pulling you straight into present-time with current political figures, watershed moments and even catchphrases. I don't want to spoil the end, but I'm telling you, stay seated until it's over. You will be moved.
This film made me think of two of Spike Lee's previous films in particular: Malcolm X and Do the Right Thing. There's a journey in all of these movies, and at times it almost seems light-hearted. Until you get that cold hard punch of reality. Spike Lee has always been a master of that art.
And of course, we have to say something about the lead actor, John David Washington, son of the legendary Denzel Washington. Seeing Spike Lee work with the son of the actor he collaborated with so frequently and warmly is a vision not lost on fans. And of course, it makes you look forward to the career of younger Washington.
My husband and I kept talking afterward about who we think should see this film, as in, who would benefit most? The answer is easy. Everyone.

