Continuing my long love affair of Barbara Kingsolver is almost too easy for me. Especially when my husband bought this book for me as a surprise! (What a dude! Seriously. Forget flowers & candy. Get you a man that buys you books!)
This novel is weighted with heavy subject matter of our time: suicide, income insecurity, housing instability, climate change, elder parent care.......basically, think of a modern-day stressor and you'll find it here. But Kingsolver, as always, ties it together in a nifty package that manages to give you some hope at the end. And some girl power.....just tell me how to not love that Tig!
I loved the way this book challenged my long-held beliefs as a Gen Xer and made me consider that the younger generation may be onto something with their lesser consumption. Well, I hope so anyway. If kids today have some better ideas, I'm all ears because I think we could all agree that we're on the wrong path.
I can't lie......this book brought me down at times. But it wouldn't be BK if she sugar-coated things. But the truthfulness that comes out of it all was so worth it....especially between the mother and daughter.
One of these days, I swear, I'm going to meet Barbara and tell her what her books have meant to me. And when that moment occurs, I hope I can do it without inciting a big, blubbery mess of a scene. I'll keep you posted!
