There are many, many North Carolina writers particularly in the Blue Ridge area. But I think very few have the ability to capture small-town mystery and monotony like Ron Rash. This novel will spark every rural memory you ever had if you grew up in a small town: the drowsy creek, the uptight Sunday dinners, the guilt of not wanting to go to church, the hope of escape. And then the inevitable sadness of never managing to do it.
Ron Rash has such a way with weaving reality into fiction that I almost cannot stomach his books at times like The Cove and Above the Waterfall. Serena taught me a lot of history, but unfortunately the movie left me flat.
But Ron knows how to tell a story. How he manages to make Sylva, NC both beautiful and scary I just can't really say. But he is definitely a North Carolina treasure. I realize it more and more with every book I finish.
