Reasons to see the new theatrical release, Bohemian Rhapsody:
You love the band Queen. They are a part of your childhood and/or rock mythos. You miss the grandeur of early arena rock gods. You miss the idea of the larger-than-life lead singer. You love the music of Queen. You flipped out the first time you heard "Bohemian Rhapsody". Then you flipped again when you heard "Bicycle".
You love performances that are true to life, true to look and true to history. If you remember Live Aid, you will be amazed at how close this acted portrayal is to the historic and triumphant performance by Queen at the event in 1985. And then to realize what a moment it was for Freddie and for the band has he approached the last 6 years of his short life.
You still miss Freddie. You remember when he died. You may cry as you watch Rami Malek portray him with such honesty and loyalty and be sad all over again in realizing that he's still gone.
You maybe don't care as much about the other 3 guys in the band, because let's face it, you won't walk away knowing much about them. I learned more from other documentaries including Queen: A Kind of Magic about the other band members than I did from this film. But to be fair, I think this film was made to be a tribute to the late Freddie Mercury. This film shows the band's rise and vision through his eyes, and it's a beautiful and painful sight.
If you know Queen, you know they still had some great moments in them, even after Live Aid. But you also know how heartbreaking it was to see Freddie in the end and realize how prophetic songs like "Who Wants to Live Forever" and "The Days of Our Lives" truly were.
And even though I'd definitely characterize this film as a movie about Freddie Mercury and Queen, and not really Queen itself, I don't think that's such a bad thing. Any true Queen fan would love it. I know this one did.





