I hate to admit this, but this film did not endear me to the love story of the Obamas. There are a lot of people, myself included, that have a lot of love for the former First Family. But any of us would have to admit that this film would not give you a lot of hope for a couple getting off the ground romantically. If these were your friends and the date was being re-told to you, as a friend you would never imagine they were going to see each other again. Is there chemistry? Yeah, I guess in that weird one admires one while the other tolerates one kind of way, sure. Of course, the film is meant to show the fire that both of them had from a young age, and I think it succeeds. It just doesn't show much fire between them. Not in that first date kind of way. Not in my experience anyway.
The best thing I enjoyed about the movie is the revisit to the times. It was the summer of 1989. The soundtrack is stellar. They go and see "Do the Right Thing". The fashions, cars and conversations are so on point. But as far as movie about the former President goes, I much preferred "Barry".

