Learn about Ella Mae Wiggins and the Loray Mill Strike that occurred in Gastonia in 1929. I have lived in Gaston County all my life, and everything I've learned about Loray and Ella Mae I had to seek out on my own. There are traditional songs about her and then some less traditional. There is lore and mystery. But these days, there is still a struggle for some. Learn more about International Workers Day and keep the memory of hardworking people like Ella Mae Wiggins alive.
This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there. But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations. I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time. I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it! I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry. I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...
