Skip to main content

Graduation Advice: Moments

Walking around outside this time of year always gets me nostalgic.  I don't remember the exact date, but I know it was sometime between late April and early May.  I know the year was 1997, and I was about to graduate from college.  I remember sitting on the outdoor green quad area with some friends from my major department.  I remember our books and composition notebooks spread out around us. (Way before laptops, you know.) We weren't really studying so much as taking it all in.....all of it.....the books, the campus, the friendships....knowing it was all about to end.  I can still to this day remember the sweet, delicious freedom of that moment.  We didn't know what was ahead, but we thought we did.  And that promise was our everything. 

I look back on that time now with a lot of bittersweet joy and heartbreak.  Some of those friends went on to do everything they said they would.  Some of them had lives that turned out exactly as they expected.  I did not.  Nothing really turned out the way I expected, but I don't say that with any kind of regret.  It feels more like a learning curve that continued even after I graduated, and I'm grateful for that.

The campus is even different now too.  It barely resembles what we were surrounded by on that spring day twenty years ago.  But just like the changes in us from students to adults, that change is meant to and must happen. 

I think of so much advice I'd like to give young graduates this time of year.  Don't think you have to have it all figured out!  Don't settle down to fast!  Don't settle.....for anything!  Don't stop learning! Don't stop believing!  (Okay, a little Journey jumped in there, sorry.) There are too many "don'ts" in those directions.  Let me rephrase.....

Live your life!  Take chances!  Travel!  Find yourself!  Make mistakes!  Begin once and then begin again!  It doesn't matter if you're 22 or 25 or 30.  Life only has two true starting and ending points: birth and death.  All the rest in between is moments.  There will be moments that feel like beginnings and others that feel like endings, but believe me, they're still all moments.


It's funny how graduation feels like an ending to some but a beginning to others.  I think back then I felt like it was a definite beginning.  I think I'd go back and tell young Becky that she was all wrong.  It was only a moment.  Just like sitting on that lawn with friends was a moment.  The birth of my son was a moment.  My wedding(s).  Both of them were moments.  I hope one day I'll look back and remember all of them....the good and bad, big and small.  And I look forward to all the ones that still haven't happened yet.  All those moments. 


So I'm gonna go ahead and take back all that earlier advice and simply say this: remember the moments.  Live them.  Keep them.  Savor them.  Remember them.  One day you will have lost your golden tassle and won't remember where you stored your prom dress.  But hopefully you will still have the moments.  And those are worth as much as all the years of education and then some.


Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...