Zelda Fitzgerald is so hot right now. And it's about damn time! According to this book and many historical accounts, she was the muse and sometimes the exact words behind the great works of her famous author husband, F. Scott Fitzgerald. In her time, she was a Southern debutante, very possibly the first 1920's flapper, a wild woman who was full of spirit and then later a misdiagnosed schizophrenic who died tragically. With this novel of historical fiction and a current show on Amazon Prime, I'm glad we're all finally getting the chance to decide for ourselves just who this incredible woman was.
This novel is just beautiful. It really made me remember how much I loved The Great Gatsby and Tender is the Night when I was a teenager. It made me glad I'm a woman and mother today instead of in the early 20th Century. It made me want to explore the Riviera. It made me want to learn more about Ernest Hemingway.....and that's something I didn't think anyone could make we want to do!
But most of all it made me grateful for women like Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald. Women who are creative and boundless despite the boundaries of their time. She was forging a path for all of us women who wanted just a little more.....whether she knew it or not.
