My god the Vietnam War is the gift that keeps on giving......even a few generations later. But somehow this novel manages to bring a little humility and humor to the story of a man still being tripped up by his time there decades later. How a book can be so full of heartbreak and still make me laugh out loud, I'm still not sure. But it is one of the best books I've read lately. And it has it all: father/son issues, father/daughter issues, alcoholism, narcotic addiction, war, abandonment, and a healthy hatred for The Eagles and Frank Sinatra. Did I mention that this book manages to be funny? I guess because we all experience it at one time or another, the picture of human frailty is one we can all relate to. We all want to know we're not alone and maybe sometimes we want to know we're not as bad as that other guy.
This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there. But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations. I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time. I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it! I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry. I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...
