You wouldn't think a mean old Grinch like me would like a film like It's a Wonderful Life. But I think part of the reason I dig it is because it's doesn't really feel like it's about Christmas at all but more about life in general......how it can be both beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time. However, I have to admit that if I miss my favorite scene, The Buffalo Gals scene, the movie is pretty much dunzo for me. I may not like to buy holiday gifts, but I'm still a sap.....what can I say?
This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there. But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations. I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time. I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it! I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry. I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...
