Skip to main content

The Salvation Army Argument: Why I Still Donate to the Red Kettles

(I felt the need to re-share this post from 2 years ago.  Just think about it, and then act as you feel appropriate.  There's no space for comments.  Poverty is not debatable in my book.)


I've been thinking about this whole Salvation Army situation quite a bit lately.

For those of you that don't know, there is pretty strong evidence that Salvation Army has practiced anti-gay policies in their hiring and even in their care and consideration of the needy.  Due to this, several LGBT and anti-discrimination groups and individuals have created a very strong online campaign to discourage folks from donating to the Salvation Army.  The Red Kettles, seen outside busy stores and shops during the holiday season are a long-standing well-recognized donation site for the Salvation Army.  The groups who oppose the charity are specifically encouraging shoppers and folks who they think just aren't in the know, to avoid these kettles. 

I've read several online articles and various sites dedicated specifically to the Salvation Army boycott.  Many of them encourage folks to donate to other charities like Heifer International and Doctors Without Borders and such.  A few are keen enough to tell you look for other charities that care for the homeless and hungry in your area.  One snappy blogger had the wherewithal to note that there may not BE any other homeless charities in your area.  She was then quick to tell us that was simply due to the fact the we have all blindly supported the Salvation Army in the past, and they have essentially monopolized the charitable market in our area.

Actually, I know of a few charities that care for those facing hunger and homelessness in my county.  They do good work and I applaud them as well as donate to them.

But I still donate to the Red Kettles.  And here's why.

I have believed in donating to and caring for the needy all my life.  I have worked and volunteered in various places and areas of need.  I have worked with needy pregnant women.  I have volunteered with persons suffering with end-stage AIDS.  I have volunteered with abused women.  I have volunteered with special needs children.  In all of these realms, I have seen various organizations working to do their part with these people in need alongside me.  And believe me, I didn't always agree with their teachings or politics.  Many right-wing Christian organizations and churches also assisted the young pregnant women.  The Catholic Church assisted the AIDS patients.  The Republican Party helped with the abused women.  Now if you know me or know this blog, do you think I agreed with the philosophies of any of those groups?

But here's the thing, we may not have agreed on politics, religions or ideology, but at that particular moment in time we all agreed on caring for the people we had in our care.  The good nuns didn't turn my help away when I sat with suffering AIDS patients and I didn't turn away the good Christian ladies bringing clothes and formula to my young recently-delivered mothers.  It wasn't about good and bad or judgement, it was about meeting the need.

Now please don't think I don't have concern or care for the LGBT community.  I know LGBT youth are at greater risk for homelessness.  I don't doubt their needs.  But I also can't forget the needs of the many other homeless and hungry that aren't LGBT-identified.

I read an article in my local paper this morning and that my local Salvation Army will help nearly 500 families this year.  That is significant.  I recently took some of my husband's old clothes and coats there to donate and immediately saw how many men could use them.

Those other international charities I mentioned earlier do good work, and there are many other like them.  But I have always been selfish about my community.  I want to help the men, women and children living right beside and around me.  I know I'm not alone in those feelings.

So it really comes down to this, people.  When you don't give to Salvation Army you may be making a point and standing up for the LGBT community.  But you're also not supporting other needy people in your community.  Will other people support them?  Probably.  Will other people support the LBGT?  Probably.  The thing is, YOU have to make a decision about how you want to use your charitable dollars this holiday season.  I won't withhold mine in order to make a point.  I would rather someone feel full and warm from my money.  That's all that matters to me.

Is it okay to abuse, ignore or discriminate against homosexuals?  Absolutely not.

It is okay to ignore need in your own backyard?  Absolutely not.

Standing up for your beliefs and supporting the disenfranchised is the right thing to do.  But I cannot see how the campaigners telling us all to the boycott Salvation Army can really feel good about what they're doing.  They may be giving you alternative charities and such, but they are still pointedly telling you NOT to give to the Salvation Army.  Here's an idea.  Maybe THEY shouldn't give to the Salvation Army.  Maybe YOU should do what your feel is right in your heart.

The comments section of this post will be closed.  I didn't write this post to start a dialogue or argument.  I have very strong feelings about meeting the needs of the hungry and homeless and I felt compelled to write this post.  


Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...