This is a great little doc about the legend herself that includes archival footage, audio interviews with Miss Simone and many interviews with living friends, family and collaborators. You can tell that it only grazes the surface of a woman and performer who had a lot to offer and a lot of depth. The bio pic came out sometime back, but all I heard of it was the controversy in casting. This documentary here seems to give the straight dope, some of it in Nina's own words, as harsh as some of them may be at times.
This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there. But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations. I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time. I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it! I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry. I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...
