I'll admit I didn't give Amy much credit up until now, but I actually really dug this book. I always thought she was a girl comedian who just got her kicks saying dirty stuff to impress guys. I'm sorry, Amy. I misjudged. This lady is really smart with a lot of heart and many of her stories I found pretty relatable. Sure, she does like to shock and I'd say she definitely has a schtick and a target audience that loves it. And while I may not be down with her stand-up, I think I'd love to meet her for a coffee and chat. Or email conversation. Turns out she's quite the introvert.....whodu thunk it?
This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there. But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations. I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time. I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it! I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry. I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...
