All the reviewers are comparing it to Sky Blue Sky and calling it "pastoral" and talking about a return to roots. I can't say I disagree. Given that Sky Blue Sky is my fave Wilco album, this new one does take me back to the sound of Wilco I love. Current fave track is "If I Ever Was a Child" but check back next week.....that could easily change. I also really love "Someone to Lose" because it reminds me a lot of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.
But for as much as I love Wilco I will still sometimes have a moment of realizing just how much. This came to me a few days ago as I sat stuck in my morning commute. There I was, one of many, sitting in my simple little Toyota listening to Jeff ponder about the complexities of youth and isolation. And I suddenly realized, yeah.....that's it.....we're all average. Back then in detention and even now in this traffic jam. There's nothing that exceptional about any of us, despite what all that self-esteem teaching taught us. We're a generation of latch-key kids still trying to find our place. All the special snowflakes were born in the next generation, not in ours. And as beautiful and brilliant as they are, I don't think anyone captures that simple mediocrity better than my guys in Wilco. It sounds kinda sad and desperate but it actually wraps around me like a warm blanket with a familiar smell.
And that, in a nutshell, is why I love Wilco and why I especially love Jeff Tweedy. Not mediocre in the least.....only in our own heads. Geniuses among us, just like we think we are sometimes. Misunderstood. Mislabeled. Misguided. On our own path. And happy. Not thrilled. But content.
