Every day I feel a little more like Phoebe Buffay.
But not the Phoebe Buffay toward the end of Friends. Not the one who got a little too snipey. I mean the Phoebe that was street-smart but still sweet, a hippie who still liked nice things, the girl who would always tell you the truth even if it hurt. First she baked Rachel cookies and then told her that Paulo hit on her. She only ate meat when she was pregnant. She liked furnishings from Pottery Barn but hated to admit it.
Every day I feel a little more like Andy Rooney.
Not because I really agreed with his old-man curmudgeony opinions, but more because he had the nerve to say so. He was always whining in that upstate New York accent along the lines of "you know what I don't understand.......?" I find myself saying that more and more lately and not having an answer. And also? I want to let my eyebrows just go crazy wild shithouse like his. That took some nerve too.
Every day I feel a little more like Max.
I mean, all he really wanted to do was wear his wolf suit and tear some shit up and who doesn't want to do that every now and then? So he sailed away on what he thought was gonna be an awesome vacay, had a little fun with the local dudes, got hungry, missed his mom and came running back home. I'd probably be happy just to tear shit up, eat some food and then fall asleep on my bed with someone tucking me in. So I guess the sailing away part is not really necessary for me.
Every day I feel a little more like Barry.
Because I see myself caring less and less about being nice or wearing clean clothes. I really do just wanna wear the same vintage t-shirts and corduroys every day and sit around a dingy store making fun of other people. All the while having so much trivial, footnoted musical knowledge that all my cohorts both envy and despise me.
Every day I feel a little more like a discontent British oldster.
Yep. Every day it's getting a little harder to be me. And it's not just about getting older, although I will admit, that is part of it. It's becoming more and more about a world that makes less and less sense if it ever did for anyone, that is. Le sigh. I need a nap now.
(This post was partly inspired by this post which has been reposted here and at Skirt! repeatedly. What can I say.....I repeat myself. And I get bored. Put your complaints in the box.)




