So of course, I had to watch this since I just finished the book. I remember it being A VERY BIG DEAL when I was kid, but since I was 8 at the time I wasn't exactly tuning in for the multiple night miniseries. There is a certain ickiness about this movie due to the subject matter, but it was still so awesome. It had a real nostalgia for me and made me want to rent more TV movies from the 80's. (North and South, I'm looking at you!) With the music, costumes and various old school actors it brought to mind a sexier version of Little House on the Prairie.
And Rachel Ward is just so beautiful in this film. Those eyes! I decided while watching that she would be the kind of girl I'd be into if I was into girls. (Settle down, honey.)
I was also reminded of the complete magnificence that is Richard Chamberlain. In the book, it is a very big deal how handsome the young priest is. Luckily, this important caveat is well-captured by the movie. Smoke it, Father Ralph!
And appears to still be looking good after all these years. Another "gee, that's too bad, girls" kinda man, but please, like we ever had a shot anyway!




Comments