Skip to main content

Book Pick: The Thorn Birds

This is another one of those books that I should have read a million years ago and just now got around to it during the snowy winter.  And it wasn't a bad book, but let's call a spade a spade, people.....it was a romance novel that somehow caught fire back in the day.  I guess it was because of the overarching theme: a priest being in love with a woman and fathering an out-of-wedlock child.  Shocking!  I'm annoyed that it took me nearly 3 weeks to read, and this may have been a romance novel but it was a thick one!  I'm waiting for the miniseries now which I remember being a really big deal when I was a kid. 

The story is good.....I like multigenerational tales, but I was creeped out by it on one particular level.  (This book was written in the 70's, so we can't call spoilers now!)  Father Ralph seems to be in love with Meggie from the time that he first meets her.......at age 10.  Now, the passion may not be consumated or even discussed until years later, but isn't it a little gross that he seems to pine for her from her childhood?  I had a little trouble with that. 

I also got a little bored toward the end because I didn't care that much for what happened to Justine. 

The one thing this book did make me think about was how important it is to not go through life living with regrets, guilt and unfinished business.  I'm so happy I don't live in that kind of space anymore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...