Skip to main content

Netflix Pick: The Hunger Games

Since this sequel is coming out this weekend, us slow-to-the-theater folk found this to be the perfect time to catch the first installment of this all-the-talk franchise.

And we really did like it.  It had a little bit of 1984, a lot of Lord of the Flies and even a hint of Romeo and Juliet.  And I know a lot of people have probably said this repeatedly, but it is nice to see a strong female lead with a moral compass and strength who cares about her family and doing the right thing and not so much about her lip gloss.

E-Roc had noted that these books and movies didn't seem to get the backlash that the Twilight franchise has gotten even though they have a lot of the same readers.  My guess is that these books and movies are just a little bit, uh, smarter.  The Hunger Games makes you think about societal pressures, our celebrity-obsessed culture, the fracturing of delicate childhood, social inequity, etc.  Twilight makes you think about, uh, vampires.  Sparkly vampires!

(And then of course you have Fifty Shades of Grey which is a messed-up fan fiction off-shoot of Twilight, but I won't even get started on that right now!)

Sheesh.  I guess now I'm going to have to go back on my word and actually read the book!  And from what I hear, it's actually a good one......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...