Skip to main content

Movie Pick: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

What do you do when you son is away with his dad for Thanksgiving and you and your hubs don't really care so much for boring-ass turkey?  You go to the movies, of course!

You know I have to really care about a movie to not wait for it on Netflix, right????

This movie was even more awesome than the first.  And if you know the movies and the books, I don't need to tell you what's up.  But if you don't know them, you need to GET TO KNOW THEM!

I won't go all into explaining the plot or revealing any spoilers, so I will talk about the actors.

First off, how cute is little Josh Hutcherson?  I have loved him since the sweet lil flick Little Manhattan.  I can't help but adore the goofiness and sweetness of Elizabeth Banks and Woody Harrelson.  And the addition of Jena Malone, who is excellent in Saved! but who I have loved since Contact, is stellar. 

And of course, the effervescent Jennifer Lawrence.  I just love this girl.  This movie had her showing much more emotion and response to psychological warfare, and she was awesome at it.  Who else thinks she is going to be one of the great actors of her generation?

And if you don't love her enough in the movies, try not to love her after watching her hold her own with Jack Nicholson all the while showing how cute and down-to-earth she is.



It's enough to make me order a mockingjay pin of my very own.  Set to arrive any day now......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...