
While others spend their entire weekends watching football, planning trips, shopping for one more bulky sweater and awaiting the arrivals of babes, I indulge in my favorite winter pastimes: movies and popcorn with Little Boy, snuggling with my Beardy Man, maybe a little online shopping and of course, reading......lots and lots of reading!My most recent finishes are quite varied and both well worth the time.
I found my way to The Key to Rebecca because I so love Ken Follett's other books and am just killing time until the 2nd in his Century Trilogy emerges sometime this year. Being a spy thriller set in World War II it is definitely not my typical pick, but I did enjoy and was definitely engrossed in the last 50 or so pages. I always think it's worth it to read a book like this just for the straight learning alone....I really knew nothing of the Desert Fox before this book. Hey, don't blame me.....point your finger at the fine NC education system!
And as for This is Where I Leave You......well this was just a lucky find in a bargain bin. A damn lucky find. This book is as funny as it is heartbreaking and relatable to almost anyone I know....if they're being honest. As a family sits Shiva, they learn more about each other and themselves than they probably ever wanted to know. I have always loved a good down on your luck story. Gawd knows I've been there. I don't know if it's a misery loves company thing so much as sometimes it's just nice to see the imperfections of people. Facebook and all the Real Housewives spin-offs have lead us to believe that everyone around us lives these great and fantastic lives full of great friends, great trips and perfect children. All. The. Time. Reading about real people with real flaws.....well.....it kinda just keeps me all the more real.....just like Pinocchio or the Velveteen Rabbit.
And as for realness......
Next up is Damned by Chuck Palahniuk. Given his track record and my love of Fight Club, I can't imagine this will be a miss.
Comments