Skip to main content

Okay, VH1......You Had Your Chance......

Every time VH1 shows its 100 Greatest Artists of All Time, E-Roc and I agree, disagree, argue, concur, throw our hands up in disgust, cheer......and inevitably have a great evening of TV while we discuss our picks and pans.

We rarely disagree on the artists included on the list, but we have a lot of scrutiny for where they were placed on the list.

But with musical tastes as varied and interesting as ours, we always think about what our list would include. And while E-Roc will probably never get around to it in this lifetime (gotta love a procrastinator) I thought I would at least take a stab at mine.

I tried to think about the artists I loved based on: influence to artists that followed (for instance, without Woody Guthrie you probably wouldn't have Bob Dylan and without Bob you might not have Velvet Underground and so on and so on), creativity and uniqueness, particular virtuosity to songwriting or a specific instrument, and just generally what Becky finds pleasing. This isn't the VH1 panel's list, it's mine!!!!!

I will say that public opinion and popularity have little to do with my list, but I do tend to like some artists that were/are really popular. However, like I said, this one is mine. I wasn't trying to be politically correct or popular with the talking heads at VH1. In other words, I'm not going to include MC5 because they had that one significant song. So don't come crying to me when you don't see someone you consider really great and important on my list! Maybe they are just important to you.....and maybe to VH1.

I think a lot of music, for me and for most people, is about a feeling. I can look back at times in my life and immediately know who was playing on my soundtrack. It may not be what VH1 says is the best, but I suspect most people would say the same.

And just as a side note, I didn't try to be cute and include unsigned artists that no one has ever heard of. They're great in their own right, but that's really a whole other list, people.

Here we go with

Becky's 100 Greatest Artists of All Time
100 The Runaways
99 Everclear
98 Kimya Dawson
97  The Band
96 Spin Doctors
95 Def Leppard
94 Night Ranger
93 Aerosmith
92 The Posies
91 Lady GaGa
90 Mary J. Blige
89 Elvis Costello
88 Van Halen
87 Adele
86 The Cult
85 Duran Duran
84 Joni Mitchell
83 Edie Brickel and the New Bohemians
82 Peter Frampton
81 The GoGos
80 LL Cool J
79 Donna Summer
78 Madonna
77 The Violent Femmes
76 Lionel Richie
75 Coldplay
74 Black Sabbath
73 George Strait
72 Queensryche
71 Green Day
70 Jack Johnson
69 Lush
68 Barenaked Ladies
67 Blondie
66 No Doubt
65 Counting Crows
64 Guns n Roses
63 The Rolling Stones
62 Johnny Cash
61 Tina Turner
60 Sam Cooke
59 The Black Keys
58 Jim Croce
57 Soundgarden
56 George Michael
55 Kiss
54 The Weepies
53 Jane's Addiction
52 The White Stripes
51 Otis Redding
50 Elton John
49 Billie Holiday
48 Patsy Cline
47 Kool & The Gang
46 Culture Club
45 Journey
44 Arlo Guthrie
43 Natalie Merchant
42 The White Stripes
41 Bob Dylan
40  Eric Clapton
39 Janis Joplin
38 Ray Charles
37 Mogwai
36 Nirvana
35 Tracy Chapman
34 Elvis
33 Jimi Hendrix
32 Iron Maiden
31 The Commodores
30 Carole King
29 Bob Marley and the Wailers
28 INXS
27 Boston
26 The Beach Boys
25 Stevie Ray Vaughn
24 Rufus Wainwright
23 CSNY
22 Sting
21 Led Zepplin
20 Metallica
19 David Bowie
18 Dave Matthews Band
17 The Pixies
16 U2
15 Band of Horses
14 The Police
13 The Cure
12 The Clash
11 Modest Mouse
10 James Taylor
9 The Mamas and the Papas
8  Queen
7 Pearl Jam
6  Indigo Girls
5 Wilco
4 REM
3 The Doors
2 Pink Floyd
1 The Beatles

~Not trying to mimic VH1, but let's face it......The Beatles really are great......~

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...