Today is Autism Awareness Day.
I have been thinking a lot lately about my relationship to Little Boy compared to what other parents have with their kids. This is a very dangerous and slippery slope for parents of kids with special needs.
There are a lot of things to envy of parents with typical kids. They show you all the things you miss out on with your own child. I have made my peace with a good bit of that, but I have realized lately one particular thing I would love to have with Little Boy: a conversation.
Don't get me wrong.....I am SO glad that Little Boy is verbal. I am very aware of the many parents of AU kids who would just love to hear their kids speak......just once.
But sometimes I long for having a true conversation with Little Boy......not just a back and forth repeating of phrases between him and me. I would love to ask him questions and get true responses from him. I would love to really be able to teach him lessons and share things through talking and not just repeating the same steps in the process of learning.
I was recently sharing with E-Roc a situation a friend of mine was facing with her little girl. I told him that I thought I would have been a good mother to a typical child. I wonder all the time what I would have been like with a different kind of kid, even though it makes me guilty to think about it. He told me he thought I was a good mother already. I hope that's true.
One quality I have always been happy to see in Little Boy is his genuine sweet nature. I went in for my yearly visit to my midwife the other day, and of course she asked me about this boy that she delivered nearly nine years ago (!) now. I told her that he still was a sweet baby in so many ways. And whether I'm trying to keep him young and small is not up for debate and question today.....I'm grateful for my sweet boy.
So I guess I have to be happy for those things in him I love and not worry or think so much about what we don't have. And since I can't read his mind or know his thoughts as well as I'd like, I am hoping that Little Boy takes me for the good stuff too and overlooks the things I don't have. I guess that's all any kid or parent can hope for......
I have been thinking a lot lately about my relationship to Little Boy compared to what other parents have with their kids. This is a very dangerous and slippery slope for parents of kids with special needs.
There are a lot of things to envy of parents with typical kids. They show you all the things you miss out on with your own child. I have made my peace with a good bit of that, but I have realized lately one particular thing I would love to have with Little Boy: a conversation.
Don't get me wrong.....I am SO glad that Little Boy is verbal. I am very aware of the many parents of AU kids who would just love to hear their kids speak......just once.
But sometimes I long for having a true conversation with Little Boy......not just a back and forth repeating of phrases between him and me. I would love to ask him questions and get true responses from him. I would love to really be able to teach him lessons and share things through talking and not just repeating the same steps in the process of learning.
I was recently sharing with E-Roc a situation a friend of mine was facing with her little girl. I told him that I thought I would have been a good mother to a typical child. I wonder all the time what I would have been like with a different kind of kid, even though it makes me guilty to think about it. He told me he thought I was a good mother already. I hope that's true.
One quality I have always been happy to see in Little Boy is his genuine sweet nature. I went in for my yearly visit to my midwife the other day, and of course she asked me about this boy that she delivered nearly nine years ago (!) now. I told her that he still was a sweet baby in so many ways. And whether I'm trying to keep him young and small is not up for debate and question today.....I'm grateful for my sweet boy.
So I guess I have to be happy for those things in him I love and not worry or think so much about what we don't have. And since I can't read his mind or know his thoughts as well as I'd like, I am hoping that Little Boy takes me for the good stuff too and overlooks the things I don't have. I guess that's all any kid or parent can hope for......