In my continuous quest to catch up on books I should have read about 10 years ago, I managed to finish The Poisonwood Bible this weekend. And pretty much every time I finish a really good novel that ties into true historical events, I have to go back and do some nonfiction reading on the subject. This time it will be about The Congo, missionaries to Africa and the Eisenhower Administration of 1959-60. There is so much to love about this book, and just like usual, I am kicking myself for not reading it when I heard everyone else talking about it. One of the things I loved best was the story being told from 5 points of view: the mother and the 4 daughters. It's not hard to see even from the very beginning that this all isn't going to turn out well, but I still don't want to ruin it for anyone who is as behind on their reading as me. But I think if there's one thing I took away from this book, it's this....probably one of my favorite lines from any book ever:"Don't dare presume there's shame in the lot of a woman who carries on."
Powerful. No matter who you are or what your personal story may be. It's lines like that keeping a book like this on my shelf.
Comments