Skip to main content

Yoga Anti-Christian? My Thoughts......

These recent comments are getting all kinds of attention right now.

Long-time yoginis are never shocked when these ideas are expressed because well....it's kinda true. Yoga does take you to new heights. Is that a bad thing?

I have practiced yoga for over 3 years now. I have practiced it in various local gyms and studios. I have gone to classes in churches and rec centers. I have sat beside practicing Hindus who prayed before and after class. I have sat beside nice Christian ladies who discussed the pot-luck at church last week.

Here's what I've come up with.....

Yoga, like many activities, is viewed in many ways by many different people. For some, it is good exercise and a means of stress reduction. For some, it's a fun activity with a social component. For some, it is an extension of their religious practice with far-reaching meditative goals. For some, it is a small component of their overall mental and physical health regimen.

For me? It's all of the above.

I came to yoga during a time in my life when I was very depressed, lacking in flexibility and slightly overweight. Yoga helped me come to peace with all those things. Yoga, at one time, was the only thing that got me out of bed every morning. It was an activity that made me feel good and pulled away all those things that hurt me......both mentally and physically. Yoga helped me find my strength. It helped me discover my body. Yoga taught me how to breathe, educated my sexuality and gave me a non-medication way to work through panic attacks.

I think, at least in some small way, that yoga helped save my life.

And yes, from a religous perspective, I have reached great heights in my practice with my breathing, postures and meditation. Was I close to God? To the Hindi god(s)? To some Higher Power? I'm not sure. But I can say, the feelings and release I have experienced in yoga have never been found in church in all my life. Not by me anyway.

Does that make me bad? Anti-Christian? Believing in false gods?

Well....I hope not.

But what's more important than all that is what yoga does make me feel. When I finish practicing, I feel strong. I breathe deeply. I don't have bad thoughts. I don't ruminate in my past hurt. I smile more. I wave people into traffic. I eat well. Basically, I feel great!

Now since I'm not a Fundamentalist, I'm not sure if any of that is okay to say and feel. But to be fair, how can it be wrong? If yoga can get me to those places, can't it do the same thing for practicing Christians? Or really anyone who wants to get to greater understanding with anything in their lives? Yoga may have its roots in Hinduism, but it has stretched its fingers out to many other cultures. Just like sharing the foods, religions and social habits of other cultures, yoga opens us up to a small piece of our vast, beautiful world.

I, for one, am all the better for it.

~Namaste~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...