I so enjoyed seeing Ali MacGraw on Oprah yesterday! It's always great to see stars of the past make their rare appearances, so we can all be reminded of what Old School Hollywood used to be. And seeing her also reminded me of my childhood....particularly, the kind of women I found to be beautiful when I was first discovering the beauty of women. I know there's a whole psychology behind this, but I always admired women who I thought I kind of looked like or who I might look like when I grew up.
I loved Ali's sleek black hair. She seemed so simple in her beauty. And yesterday I happily noted that she still is. Most people love her for "Love Story" but I have always been partial to "The Getaway". My mom introduced my sister and I to great movies!
Jaclyn Smith was my favorite of "Charlie's Angels" but to be honest I loved them all. I had a (Barbie) doll of Jacklyn wearing a pink evening dress. Aaaah.....
Who didn't love Catherine Bach of "The Dukes of Hazzard"? I may not have understood her appeal to men and boys, but I loved her Daisy Dukes and her fiesty attitude!
Aaah, Cher. There are so many incarnations of her. But my most beloved memories are of watching the re-runs of her show with Sonny. Sometimes they would bring out their daughter, Chastity! I loved that! My mom used to tell me I had dark wonderful hair like Cher's as I got older and let it grow. I think she was being too nice, but what a wonderful compliment to a teenage girl!
I have also noticed in my adulthood that I tend to still gravitate toward the beauty of dark-haired women: Angelina Jolie, Kristen Davis, Kat Von D, etc. I just hope other girls out there have moms like mine who told me I was pretty, and loved me the way I was. My mom never made me worry that I was too skinny or fat or that my skin wasn't perfect. She didn't shield me too much from the world or tell me what I should think. I didn't realize all these gifts she gave me until I got much older, but now I'm so grateful.
And yes, she's a brunette too!
Comments