Skip to main content

Big & Small, Up & Down

I have been trying so hard this week not to let all things, big and small, get to me.

But it has been a real struggle.

I am trying to wait with patience to hear about this job I really want, and I don't think I would be so impatient if not for the timing. School starts in a few weeks, and I want both Little Boy and myself settled into a new routine if there's gonna be a new routine.

But all I can do is wait.

In entertainment news, I am interested in seeing Easy A starring the red-headed girl from Superbad. Something tells me that this whole wearing of the Scarlett A is just calling to me.....

And speaking of this, I will be proud of myself when I don't like stuff from the past hurt me anymore. Like the fact that Little Boy's grandpa can't bear to be in the same room with me when I make the occasional pick-up of Little Boy from his Nana's. Everyone has moved on......Little Boy's dad is getting remarried for Christ's sake. I guess I will forever be The Bad Guy.

Which is why I'm glad that Little Boy's favorite song this week seems to be "Better Than" by the John Butler Trio. He knows just what I need to hear sometimes!

I also had a bit of an epiphany as I watched the construction guys loading up their vans for a week of work on Monday........small, great men helping to build a great, big world. I realized that as much as I hate my job sometimes, there are still parts of it that I really love. Maybe those parts I love will make me able to stay if I don't get the other job. Or maybe if I do leave I will be able to take those parts with me and hold good memories of the job I once had. Hmmm.

E-Roc and I had to fight the good fight against ants this week. No fun. But I do think E-Roc are winning for now. Did you know bleach water can keep ants at bay? Good interneting, E-Roc!

I think probably the happiest moment I had this week was watching E-Roc trying to teach Little Boy how to catch a football. Throwing and catching are no small feat for Little Boy, so the fact that he even tries impresses me. He is getting better and better at it, which warmed my heart, but what warmed my heart more was when he caught it once and without skipping a beat E-Roc said, "that's my boy."

Small rewards. Catch as, as catch can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...