Skip to main content

Pneumonia Guide: What to Watch Whilst Fighting Off Death

 So I recently survived pneumonia.  And survived is the correct word to use.  But I'm not quite ready to talk about that.  Yet.  Right now I want to talk about what I watched while I was in and out of consciousness on my couch and shuttling between doc appointments. 


Running Point was so good I've watched it about 3 times now.  It's funny, warm, empowering and strangely reminded me of Ted Lasso.  I've loved the beautiful Kate Hudson since "200 Cigarettes" and basically just loved the way this show kept me guessing throughout.  When you're sick, you need something that's going to make feel good....give you hope.....make you feel less alone.  This did that.  


The Residence is brilliant, fast and witty.  I started with it and had to stop because, honestly, my brain fog was too great to follow during the height of my illness.  But once that cleared, I was all in for Uzo Aduba and company.  This show is like a modern version of Clue and is so smart you'll feel like you sipped some of those "Naked" juice drinks (which I have in my fridge right meow) by the end.  


Okay, so this is about five years old, but now I have the sequel all ready for me!  This was one of those "check your brain at the door" sitches that I didn't have to think too hard on.  It was fun, passed the time and is again perfect for taking a patient out of your head when it's a little too heavy in there.  



Paris is Burning is an extremely engaging doc that has its own lore, history, controversy and repercussions all these years later.  You can't just watch this film.  You have to invest in it, do some follow up reading and research......go into it.  It will put into perspective a lot of questions and confusions about our current culture regarding gender expression, transgender safety, and the origins of most issues of our world that our first expressed in minority cultures but strangely co-opted by the rest.


Ordinarily, I hate having to procure streaming services that I'm not already stealing from someone else (usually an ex).  But for this one time I'm probably going to have to subscribe to Paramount just so I can keep watching my next ex-husband Tom Hardy in Mobland.  And it's not just because Tom is a tasty British morsel.  Oh, no.  It's because I enjoy hearing Helen Mirren curse and the overuse of words like "wellies" and phrases like "cheers, mate".  So there.  



This is a modern day Romy & Michele meets Friday.  Fun, cute, sweet and all about that girlie friendship.  I've watched this twice now and see many re-watches in the future, rooting harder for these ladies errrrry time!

So if you can, avoid pneumonia.  But if you cannot, get yourself some loyal caregivers, a cozy blankie, and some good streaming WiFi.  Cuz that couch ain't gonna hold itself down.  

Cheers, mates!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...