Skip to main content

Locked In

 Today is the birthday of one of my oldest friends.  We met in line getting our I.D. badges made in college.  I guess we had been at school a day or two at that point.  That was over 30 years ago and here we are.  Both hitting 50.  Life has moved, changed, continued and gone on.

When I think about my old friends, ones I've known since young adulthood and even childhood, I often think about how we're the same but different.  Our spirits and general nature stays the same, but often our behaviors and dispositions get a little more fluid.  

I know women who were feisty spitfires as girls who are now fierce Mama Bears and conscientious movers and shakers in their careers.  I know gentle-spirited women who have raised very sweet, empathic children. I've seen friendly spirited, charismatic dudes become very good at selling the world and selling themselves.  I've seen shy guys come into their own in middle age and quiet women become ferocious in their change-making.  

I've reacquainted with people I barely knew as a youth, but thought I did, only to realize I didn't at all. I've watched how the world has changed people, even myself, for the good and for the bad.

All good things.  All necessary people.  All of us making the world go 'round.

I was reading a book recently in which a friend reminds another that they sat on the couch and watched the moon landing together.  He spoke about how whenever someone mentioned the moon landing he thought of that old friend.  "You and me, kid.  We're locked together in the history of that moment."

I think more and more about the moments I've remembered through my life.  The newsworthy ones are the easiest to digest, and even though some might be strange to hear, we've all got our personal touchstones:

*The Gulf War starting in 1991

*The Rodney King riots

*Bill Clinton's Inauguration

*The Oklahoma City bombing

*The death of Kurt Cobain

*The OJ Simpson Bronco chase

*The death of Michael Hutchence

*The death of Dale Earnhardt

*9/11

*The Michael Jackson not-guilty verdict

*The death of Michael Jackson

*The Ferguson riots

*The death of Chris Cornell

*The defeat of Hilary Clinton

*The assassination attempt on Trump

It might be a random bunch of moments or it might be totally relatable.  Everyone has their own. And I'm not even talking about the "biggies" like when your kid was born or you grandmother died or you got married.  I'm just thinking about the big newsy stuff at the moment. And I remember who I was with, how we responded, what we talked about.  

And then there's the cluster of all the other things.....Kurt Vonnegut, curry fries, jelly shoes, Lake Junaluska, the Grease movies, comic books, Edith Wharton, skateboard hair, Eugene O'Neill, Spandau Ballet, used bookstores, Brad Delp, The Clash, friendship bracelets, Miss Saigon, "Beth" by Kiss, Fireball shots, Franklin Boulevard, Kate's Skating Rink, sand volleyball and on and on and on.....

All these things.  So many memories.  So many times and places.  All in our hearts.  You and me, kid.  We're locked in for life.  Even from standing in that long, hot line waiting to get an ID picture taken.  We're still locked in.  I'm glad I met you that day.  I'm glad you kept me.  I'm glad I kept you.

Happy Birthday, Old Friend.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...