My kiddo has always dug getting sick on Easter. Not sure why, but from way back in his toddler days he had a propensity to manifest an ear infection that required an Urgent Care visit while everyone else was home dying eggs.
This year was no exception.
My kiddo is almost 23 now. But he's still my baby, special needs or not, and I baby him as such when he's sick. During our long Saturday night, I couldn't help but think of other sick nights.....trips to the doctor....to the hospital.....tests......the kinds of things that happen for "typical" kids and families and the kinds of things that are reserved for us special needs families.
This is the kind of thing that can send a mother down a really sad spiral if you're not careful (and I have my own opinions about RFK's recent statements) so I decided with my fatigued body and worried mind to take it another way.
I started thinking about gratitude.
Grateful for the big and small things.
Big thing: despite the autism, my son has always been a really happy, healthy kid.
Small thing: we've got this awesome living room set-up where he can rest while I watch him.
Big thing: my son has insurance, access to medical care and a loving family to support him.
Small thing: we have a washer and dryer right in our own house that could run all night with our sickie towels and sheets.
Big thing: despite his communication issues, my son can let me know when he's sick, needs help, is scared, needs me, is hungry, is hurting, etc.
Small thing: I have reached an age in which I don't need as much sleep to function.
And it's not a small thing all that I laid on the short couch through the night watching my child sleep and being grateful for my own improved health. A few weeks ago, I would not have been able to care for him in sickness as I was too overcome with my own.
So as it turns out, the gratitude.......it seems to be all mostly big things. Nothing small at all.

Comments