Kathy Valentine is a great storyteller. I have read very few memoirs in which a person could truly tell a story from such an unemotional, honest level. It makes for a great read as you travel with the narrator through their catharsis. And Kathy definitely had a lot of those!
As she walks us through two abortions (one at the tender age of 12), her early drug and alcohol use, both a fun and tumultuous relationship with her mother, her sobriety.....it's really a lot to take in! But Kathy is not one for rest or self-pity. I guess the most heartbreaking thing of all is how much she just really, really wanted to be in a band. Thus the title of the memoir.
Her famous name-dropping from the Vaughn brothers to The Police to Clem Burke and Carlene Carter also adds a lot a spice to a tale that never winds down to boredom. (Kathy was friends with Rob Lowe.....whaaaaatttt????)
I actually think there's a few different kinds of fans that love The Go-Go's. The obvious are the ones who were growing up in the 80's, like me, who saw these ladies as beautiful troubadours of fun music! You wanted to hang out with them, wanted them to be your big sisters, wanted to start your own band someday!
The other type of fan is the "underground scenster". These are the folks that support and understand the underground punk scene from which The Go-Go's first flourished. Even when the Go-Go's realized they wanted to be more than their punk rock beginnings, I still like to believe they appreciated their roots. At their hearts and in many interviews, they proclaim their grubby status as party girls who were all about the sex, drugs and rock n roll of the early 80's.
I love how Kathy surmised that The Sex Pistols took all the fun out of rock and "besides the drummer, they weren't even cute!" Hard agree, Kathy!
After I finished the memoir, I had to go and watch this 2020 documentary on the band. The thing I noticed first off was how much the ladies had changed in their looks and feelings about the band since their "VH-1 Behind the Music" which aired in 2000. I guess 20 years provides a lot of insight and recovery.
On certain levels, the ladies are way more forgiving and full of insight. On the other hand, they've had some time to build some grudges. But to be fair, any relationships and friendships viewed over 40 years are going to have some icky feelings and memories. Gawd knows I wouldn't want anyone examining mine too hard!
After I finished the book, the doc, and some old interviews I went back to the old videos. And that's when the tears started, readers. Just thinking about how hard the girls were working, partying, growing and just LIVING back in those days.....I was a kid in grade school singing along, but these ladies were eating up some LIFE! Well......I'll just forever be grateful for that. While the times may not have been so innocent for them, back then they sure were for me. And those early Go-Go's songs definitely make my 80's childhood that much more memorable.
Comments