Aging is tricky and not necessarily for all the reasons you might think. Sure, you've got more bills. Probably more health issues. And young cute boys start calling you ma'am and Miss with your first name.
But the upside is, sometimes you have a little bit more money. If you're empty-nesting like me, you may have a little more free time. You may even have some fun opportunities that make you want to update your look and enhance your wardrobe.
And you may have GREY HAIR.
Sigh.
This is such an ongoing issue for me. I'll chime in with the rest of the culture and say that men look so cute with grey hair. In their heads, in their beards, in their mustaches......dude! They are Silver Foxes! They are streaks of silver lightning, and they don't even know it!
(Aside: I was dating a fine-ass silver fox of a man who was almost the ruination of me. I blame the grey! It did me in! Rant over.)
And then I started noticing some fine-ass girlfriends of mine that were looking good with their grey hair coming in. And I thought, dang girl, if they can do it, so can you!
Then I noticed some celebrities that also looked good going grey. My long-time style icon, Andie MacDowell did it. A local and national writer and commentator, Sheri Lynch, did it. So again, I consulted Becky and got a resounding "go for it girl" from deep inside.
The problem is, I am not friends. And clearly, I am not Andie or Sheri.
They have stylists, artists, colorists and teams making it happen. And they are freaking beautiful!
I have nearly 30 years of dyed hair and weird roots. (Remember when we used to dye it for "fun"?) I have budgetary issues. I have no upcoming tv appearances. I have no red carpets. I have no followers and no influence!!!!
Which I suddenly realized was kind of freeing. Nobody is judging me except myself. And maybe if grey is what I want, grey is what I should be.
I asked my sister to come along on my grey-streaked journey, and she said she wasn't ready. Isn't that sad? As women, we have to be "ready". But I understand her completely. I haven't been ready for a while either. I thought that going grey was somehow throwing in the towel and giving up. It was some sort of white flag waving on my looks and sexuality. It was a fire-lit signal to the menopause parade to show up and start marching.
Until I remembered all the pep talks I had given to so many people around me, men and women, about beauty and confidence from within. Maybe it's time for Miss Becky to just go ahead and own being "Miss Becky".
But just in case I have doubts or low days, I made myself a few new memojis to remind myself that I'll still be cute with less chemically-enhanced hair:
And these gals look pretty cool to me. They're my new role models. Stay tuned......





Comments