Skip to main content

Why I Love Abbott Elementary

 Since it's a show set in an elementary school, I'll keep my list cute as cute and simple as a well-read fifth grader!



~It's smart.  It treats you like a smart kid.  It doesn't dumb a complex issue down for you.  It meets you on your level.

~Nothing bad happens.  Even when something bad happens, it's not really bad.  Isn't that refreshing in the world right now?

~The cast is stellar, talented and real.  You could really see these folks as your kids' teachers.

~It doesn't shy away from the realness of being a Philadelphia school....they constantly need money!

~They teach themselves lessons.  In the episode where a parent wears clothing with the word "bitch" Barbara has to reframe how she sees the parent and the use of the word.

~They hit on problems that kids have in an empathetic but not pitying way.  The kid that comes to Ava because he has outgrown his pants gets a ribbing about being ready for a flood.  Later she explains to Barbara how we all overcome our poverty in different ways.  IE your experience is not necessarily my experience.

~A good will-they-or-won't-they is always fun!

~It likes to make as much fun of a selfish black female principal as it does a vulgar brutish white Philly lady. It's also fun to see Jacob mocked for his over-the-top white liberalism.

~It hits on the fact that a white teacher may not all the way "get it" but he is trying.  Jacob teaching topics on Black History manages to educate even Ava.

~If you loved "Everybody Hates Chris" Tyler James Williams' face is still just as cute!

~I want to take Janine home and cook her food and watch girlie movies.  Then I'll send her back to Barbara!

In a world that is sometimes hurtful, gross and just overwhelming, Abbott makes me feel safe and loved.  It's like a warm hug from your flat screen tv.  And it doesn't hurt that Mrs. Howard truly does remind me of my kindergarten teacher, Mrs. McKnight.  Gosh, I loved that woman!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...