Y'all, c'mon. I didn't watch the Oscars. Of course, I didn't. All that self-congratulation really twists my knickers. And also on the knicker-twisting agenda was moments like this:
Peeps are mad that Ms. Bassett didn't stand and applaud? That ought to be glad she didn't fall over into hysterics. It looks like her husband, Courtney B. Vance, is about to anyway!
She was disappointed, y'all. And hurt. And probably a little shocked. Because she lost out out to this:
Ms. Bassett's roles have been powerful time and time again. Rosa Parks, Tina Turner, Reva Styles, Bernadine Harris, and not to mention STELLA! But Jamie Lee Curtis has this:
Oh. And she has this. As a matter of fact, there was a particular time when very nearly all of JLC's films were based on the rocking bod she had at the time. Now she prefers to flout the fact that she's too old to stay awake and be honored.
And I know it sounds like I'm dissing, but I'm really not. Jamie Lee Curtis has been in some great movies. Some fun movies. Did she receive this award because she was finally in, dare I say, an important film? The kind of films Angela Bassett has been making for a lifetime?
I'm sorry, I agree with the folks who say this feels like a snub. Because it kinda does. But I'll just end it on a classic Bassett line from a classic Bassett film. I think it kinda says it all.






Comments