Have you ever taken in some type of art, performance, music or media and wondered if you were allowed to laugh at it? Is it okay that I found that funny? Or does it make me anti-Semitic or racist?
Because that's how I felt all through nearly every single episode of the new Mel Brooks joint, History of the World Part II.
But to be honest, even if I was allowed to laugh at it, I'm not sure I found much of it very funny. It felt mostly silly and stupid, and well, the constant jokes at Jewish stereotypes just seemed......well....wrong. And tired. All of this culminates in the last sketch with Wanda Sykes and basically pulls it all together into a weird mea culpa which still doesn't make me feel any better.
I will say I loved the take on "JackRasp" and what happened to Amelia Earhart, but the Alexander Graham Bell sketch was just so, so awful. What is it with men and dick jokes? And also, have you met me? We don't make fun of The Beatles. Ever.
The few bright spots for me were the lovely Pamela Adlon and Quinta Brunson. But I have to agree with another friend who pointedly said "Nick Kroll ruins pretty much everything he looks at."
Hard agree, dude. Hard agree.

Comments