Skip to main content

Why I Love Pamela Anderson

The Young Becky of the late 90's and early 00's never would have said this.  But the (much) older and (maybe) wiser Becky of today straight up loves Ms. Anderson. She's a woman, like most of us, that took some time coming into her power.  But now that she has it, you fools better step the hell aside!


I guess it all started with the Hulu show.  I remember the Pam & Tommy stolen tape controversy.  The Hulu series does a good job of explaining how little we all understood of the internet at the time.  But they also did a good job of showing the humanity of Pam and Tommy, the personal humiliation it brought them to and how everyone regarded the two of them very differently in the matter.  

I remember it well.

Tommy was a dumbass with a big dick.

Pam was a dumbass with big tits.

The end.  

But watching this limited series made us remember that it was so much more.  They really were a young crazy couple in love.  They really did just want to live their best lives.  Of course they made some stupid choices.  But how would we all look if we lived out our young party days in front of so, so many cameras?



 

And then came this doc on Netflix.  Finally, it was Pam's chance to tell her side of things.  I was actually sad when I learned that she didn't communicate with Lily James or want to watch the series.  I totally understand her view, but James really did treat Pamela's life with a lot of respect.  

But anyhow, back to Pamela herself.  To see her fresh-faced and lovely.....texting her grown adult sons too early in the morning and waking them up......performing as Roxie on stage in "Chicago".  It looks like Pam is the survivor we always knew she could be.  Hearing about how she has tried again and again to find love hurts but isn't as heartbreaking as her own realization that she really can't love another man as much as she loves her kids' dad.  Sniff.

(Also, when she refers to Tommy as "daddy" when talking to her kids?  Gosh, it hit me right in the feels.  Such a mom moment.  Sniff again!)

Another favorite moment of mine is when she recounts a story of talking to Smokey Robinson about her many divorces and him encouraging her by calling her a "romantic".  I feel you, girl, I feel you. 

Watching this doc on my birthday was a gift to myself.  It made me realize that if Pam Anderson can survive 1998, I can survive anything. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...