I should be working. I should be producing and innovating in my tiny space of the world. But I can't. Because Alex Murdaugh is on the stand in his own defense and he keeps calling his late son by his nickname Paw-Paw. Which I have no doubt his attorneys encouraged him to do. He also keeps calling his wife Mags. These are the two once-living-now-dead people Alex Murdaugh is accused of killing.
I have to admit I never would have known a thing about this mess or come to follow it so closely if it wasn't almost local. And I mean local as in it being one state away from me. I tend to not follow true crime as it truly seems to be exploitive and gross. And I'll be honest, being the baby that I am, a lot of it gives me anxiety. But this.....this thing here.....it's a different animal.
The documentary lays this out much better than the trial has, mainly because only so much evidence can be introduced in court. Since this limited series came out last year, the entire country has caught on and now there is a deluge of shows, documentaries and podcasts. It tells us the backstory of the backstory. The history of the Murdaugh family in local law and politics. Going way back to the boat accident in which young Paul Murdaugh is implicated in the death of a college-aged girl. Discussing the mysterious death of the long-time housekeeper of the Murdaugh family, Ms. Gloria Satterfield. The mysterious death of Stephen Smith is also covered leaving all of us viewers to wonder exactly what his apparent hit-and-run death has to do with the Murdaugh family.
But before all the prosecutors and defense attorneys can jump in here (because I know ALL Y'ALL read me) I know that Alex Murdaugh can't be held accountable for the crimes and faults of others. His son's drunken boat accident was not his doing. His wife's indifference to her longtime employee's death on the Murdaugh family property is not his doing. Even his family's history and reputation of strong-arm control is probably out of his power.
But I will throw a couple of maxims/scripture/mantras out here that I believe apply:
"The apple doesn't fall far from the tree"
"Train a child up in the way that he should go, and when he is older he will not depart from it"
"What goes around comes around"


Comments