I never had strong feelings one way or another about Katey Sagal, but this book made me a fan! With a bit of an unusual (or maybe pretty typical actually) Hollywood childhood, Katey grew up strong, determined and full of grit. Maybe that's how she came to be known for such solid characters: Peg Bundy and Gemma Teller Morrow.
I think her stories of parenting spoke to me the most though. When she said she had a daughter that didn't call home every day and she knew that was part of her raising her to be strong and independent, I thought of my own parents. It doesn't mean there's no love....it means there's confidence and boundaries. And those things go both ways.
I also loved the way she admitted she wasn't ready to get older and still felt young and sexual. It's like a woman isn't allowed to admit that these days, and I really respected that kind of honesty.
This is a great memoir for a strong woman. And sorry to say, way more fun than Michelle Obama's.
