Even though it's not really my style, I like to read a political thriller every now and then just to keep my head in the game.
This one kept me from sleeping.
Imagine the worst possible computer hack ever and everything it would shut down. The simple things like credit card machines, grocery scanners, personal cell phones. The bigger things like traffic signals and emergency systems that control water and food protections and the firewalls on banking, insurance, investments and the like. And then the huge things like the electrical grid and the national defense system. Yeah, all that. That's what we're facing down in this book.
Even though this book is huge, I managed to finish it in a little less than a week because I had to skim through the parts where I could tell Bill was waxing philosophically about his days in Office and his days as a Good Ole Boy down South. I have always had an affection for President Bill, but this was all a little heavy-handed. I also thought it was interesting that he wrote his President as a surviving war hero and widower. I believe he really wants us all to see him in a certain way that he is just incapable of achieving.
Anyhow, as scary as it was, it is a good book.....very smart and very fast-moving.....the action all takes place over a few days and most of it over 24 hours. Reading this book made me want to go and read a much easier and less scary book afterward.....a nice Maeve Binchy comfort book maybe. It also made me want to go out and stock up on antibiotics, bottled water, canned goods, toilet paper and foldable paper money. But that is really a whole other story......
