It is rare that I love a book and a film equally. Even more rare that I would see the film FIRST and read the novel much later, but here we are! I guess there's a first time for everything!
But seriously, this book is so beautifully written.......it's easy to see why it was awarded the Pulitzer Prize. The descriptions of everything from the big to the small.....the sights and sounds of bustling India and dirty Boston, the mundane of new motherhood, the constant anxiety of parenthood, the accomplishment of the American Dream. It's the kind of thing that almost seems boring until you actually live it.
All of the behavior and emotion is so visceral: the anguished pain of homesick Ashimi, the fervent drive to live and succeed by Ashoke, the awkward shyness of Gogol......you can feel it. You truly can.
And the movie....oh my.....it's just so gorgeous. It actually takes the unspoken between Ashoke and Ashimi and illustrates to the screen what a book just sometimes can't quite convey. My favorite scenes in the movie are always of them.....when Ashimi comforts Ashoke after a nightmare, when they are "flirting" by the Taj Mahol, and sadly in her loss when Ashimi begins to take off her symbolic marital bracelets.
Truly a beauty that reminds me of why I'm a reader: to learn and understand about the people, places and situations that I have never seen or known. Now I feel like I do.

