It was the day after the terrorist shootings in an Orlando night club. I hadn't spent much time watching the news or surfing online. It was an unusual day for me in that sense. But I've noticed lately when tragedies happen.....and they seem to happen more and more often.....that I have to take myself away from them. I have to shield myself or it all becomes too much. I treat my head and my heart like a child whose mother still covers up her ears from the dirty words. So I covered my ears as best I could all day, and then later I did get online.
And I saw this:
I saw this picture of Mark Lynch taken by Bobby Whitmire. And it had nothing to do with Orlando.
And I started crying and I couldn't stop. And I didn't know why.
Wait. I did know why.
I looked at Mark and I saw the lines in his face, and I thought about how strong he is in his voice and his opinions. And I knew he was sad about Orlando too because he's just that kind of guy. And I saw the lights and the cords and the stickers and the graffiti and I thought of all the times I had stood there in that same place. And I thought about all the people we knew and how strange and weird we were and what we all loved about our lives and each other. And I thought of my son and my husband and my house and my blue bedspread and all the things and people that I love in this life. And I thought of all the worst people in the world that are trying to take all of best things we have away.
And I wondered what will happen next? How long before it happens again? And when will men with guns come into my child's school? And when will they start coming into malls and day cares and hospitals? And when did life get so scary? And how did this happen? And when will it ever end? And how many times can we go through this? And what will it take? And when will it stop? Will it stop? Will it stop?
And since I didn't have an answer. And Mark's picture didn't have an answer. I just sat there and looked at it. And I cried and cried.
And I saw this:
![]() |
| With permission by Bobby Whitmire for Shutter 16. |
I saw this picture of Mark Lynch taken by Bobby Whitmire. And it had nothing to do with Orlando.
And I started crying and I couldn't stop. And I didn't know why.
Wait. I did know why.
I looked at Mark and I saw the lines in his face, and I thought about how strong he is in his voice and his opinions. And I knew he was sad about Orlando too because he's just that kind of guy. And I saw the lights and the cords and the stickers and the graffiti and I thought of all the times I had stood there in that same place. And I thought about all the people we knew and how strange and weird we were and what we all loved about our lives and each other. And I thought of my son and my husband and my house and my blue bedspread and all the things and people that I love in this life. And I thought of all the worst people in the world that are trying to take all of best things we have away.
And I wondered what will happen next? How long before it happens again? And when will men with guns come into my child's school? And when will they start coming into malls and day cares and hospitals? And when did life get so scary? And how did this happen? And when will it ever end? And how many times can we go through this? And what will it take? And when will it stop? Will it stop? Will it stop?
And since I didn't have an answer. And Mark's picture didn't have an answer. I just sat there and looked at it. And I cried and cried.
