I'm a big re-reader of "comfort books". It is as pleasant as
re-watching old movies again and again or listening to music
you've loved for years. I don't know why some find it odd!
This is probably the reason I own so many books and have
a hard time letting them go.....why would I ever?
Here are some fave comfort books I'll loan out to you.
(but you better be damn sure to return them....I know where you live!)
The Lady and the Unicorn
Tracy Chevalier
The Lilac Bus
Maeve Binchy
ALL of the Ramona series children's books
(yes, I still read kiddie books)
Jewel
Brett Lott
Possum Living
Dolly Freed
Amy Krouse Rosenthal
(best for picking up and putting down again because of its style)
Laurie Mitchell
(a joke gift I received in college but still enjoy to this day)
Flight Behavior
Barbara Kingsolver
Fortune's Rocks
Anita Shreve
Tara Road
Maeve Binchy
Like Water for Chocolate
Laura Esquivel
Madvertising
A Mad Magazine Book
(a chewed-up copy passed between my husband and I for over 25 years now)
![]() |
| One of the few gifts I kept from an ex. |
I've always found the best comfort books are ones
that aren't too heavy and can basically be picked up and put down
again without having to hold too much of the story in your head.
On the other hand, some aren't really light at all.....
they just seem to make me think of old friends I haven't spoken to
in a while but still love dearly. You pick right up where you left off!
And in the case of all these books, a used dog-eared copy works even better!
These and other great reads can be found on my all-time favorite book list.....
(even though 100 titles hardly covers it)

