Okay, so I know I'm about 10 years late on this one. But truthfully, I wasn't sure I could even handle this book. And I only did, just barely. The violence, sexual and physical, is so not my scene. I also have a long-standing belief that books and movies like this give people ideas. I stand by that. Also, to answer the obvious question, I will not be viewing the extremely popular film. And yes, it is an intriguing and well-written book. And no, I don't recommend it. It will leave you feeling dirty and scared and slightly confused and never wanting to leave your house again. If that's what you like, go for it. I prefer a much happier and cozier world with blankets and flowers and glasses of sweet tea. Maybe that's why I've never travelled to Sweden.
This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there. But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations. I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time. I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it! I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry. I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...
