I liked the book but was a little uncertain about the film. Even Cheryl Strayed herself didn't really like how the film relied too heavily on her tales of promiscuity. But the flashback sequences of her personal decline due to her mother's young death were important fuel in pushing her across that trail. I rooted for Reese in the movie just like I rooted for Cheryl in the book. I didn't understand or agree with all their choices. But I got it.
One thing I kept thinking about while watching this was the music. Lots of Paul Simon. I thought about my own mother and my memories I have of my childhood. I thought about her now. She taught me to love music much the same way I've taught my son. I hope he'll remember his childhood fondly with a loving soundtrack just like I do of my own.
It's the big and small things that carry you along life's road. The hurts get you somewhere but so do the joys. Few pieces explain it as well as this.
