Another flick for girls night in, and it wasn't a disappointment. Since I've always been fascinated by the Magdalene laundries, I had a good feeling about this film. I honestly didn't know it was based on an actual case of a women who researched and learned the history of the child that had been adopted away from her in 1950's Ireland. This film is uplifting and it really makes you think hard about the big and small things in life: friendship, family, personal values, personal eccentricities and forgiveness.
This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there. But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations. I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time. I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it! I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry. I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

Comments