Skip to main content

Netflix Pick: Jobs

Most all the reviews I read said this flick was terrible. But those people were wrong.  This movie is pretty freakin awesome.  The cast was stellar, the music and fashion of the times were spot on and the fact that it didn't try to make Steve Jobs a beatific saint was admirable.

I do think the film did a lot to make an iconic man, perhaps maybe, be a little more understood.  It doesn't pull any punches about him being difficult to work with, dishonest at best and an asshole at worst.  I loved the portrayal of his conflict between being a hippy and being a boss and his love of Dylan. 

My favorite character/real-life guy in the film was probably favored by any person who saw this film: the great and powerful Woz.  Who wouldn't love this teddy bear genius?  I love his genuine love for innovation.  I love the playful argument his has with Steve about The Beatles vs. Bob Dylan.  And I love his tearful speech when he finally leaves Apple.  Given my tenuous feelings toward corporate America at the moment, I really got it. 

This movie would be a great pic for you if you identify to any of the following: computer technology, being a nerd, loving nerds, being a hippy, the glamorized industrial race between Apple and IBM, the technology of the 70's and 80's, but most importantly the strong feeling that you've never quite grown up (no matter what your age) and that you're still struggling to find your true passion.  Perfect for a drifting 40 year-old like me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...