This book is often described as the female voice of the Beat Generation. The road book for women. The French Kerouac. I can see all those comparisions. It was quite an interesting read given our current themes in race relations (the Confederate Battle Flag taken down in South Carolina) since de Beauvoir makes a lot of racial observations as she crosses America. She's snippy and critical at times, likes to drink and gets down heavy with some existential thought. If that's a light summer read for you, then have at it! I think it would be better saved for a cold snowy morning with a cup of International Coffee, but hey, that's just me!
This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there. But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations. I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time. I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it! I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry. I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

Comments