It's not like I need much convincing to watch a movie with my man, Matt. But I also felt like this was a movie E-Roc and I could both enjoy being that it's about space and all. (You know how all the mens just lurve movies about space!)
But I must say, we both lurved it.
How can I describe this exactly being as complex as it is? It's a little bit Contact with the father-daughter relationship. It's a little bit Looper with the time travel. It's a little bit Inception with the what-world-are-we-in-exactly? bit. A friend of mine also described it as "a modern, better 2001". And then of course it's also a combination of every good space movie ever: Apollo 13, Space Cowboys, The Right Stuff, and on and on and on.
I know several people have said they were very moved by this film, and I know exactly why. There were several moments when I was close to tears and by the end I just let it all go.
And I don't even mean that part when Matt loses it either. That was just the tip of the iceberg. It's funny how a movie about science and planetary issues can all come back to love, trust and family but that's exactly what happens. In the end of Contact, Jodi Foster realizes she must finallly step out on faith. I don't want to give it all away, but something very similar happens here. And it is every bit as uplifting and moving as what Carl Sagan did way back then.
I heard that some reviewers and dopey people found this movie stupid and some even walked out of the theater. I'll say this as nicely as I can.....those people are not very bright, imaginative or analytical. If you missed this movie, you really missed something. But if you don't get that, like the complexities of the film itself, I can't explain it to you here.
But I must say, we both lurved it.
How can I describe this exactly being as complex as it is? It's a little bit Contact with the father-daughter relationship. It's a little bit Looper with the time travel. It's a little bit Inception with the what-world-are-we-in-exactly? bit. A friend of mine also described it as "a modern, better 2001". And then of course it's also a combination of every good space movie ever: Apollo 13, Space Cowboys, The Right Stuff, and on and on and on.
I know several people have said they were very moved by this film, and I know exactly why. There were several moments when I was close to tears and by the end I just let it all go.
And I don't even mean that part when Matt loses it either. That was just the tip of the iceberg. It's funny how a movie about science and planetary issues can all come back to love, trust and family but that's exactly what happens. In the end of Contact, Jodi Foster realizes she must finallly step out on faith. I don't want to give it all away, but something very similar happens here. And it is every bit as uplifting and moving as what Carl Sagan did way back then.
I heard that some reviewers and dopey people found this movie stupid and some even walked out of the theater. I'll say this as nicely as I can.....those people are not very bright, imaginative or analytical. If you missed this movie, you really missed something. But if you don't get that, like the complexities of the film itself, I can't explain it to you here.


Comments