Remember when your child was a toddler and you kept telling him you were going to move him into a "big boy bed"? It was so exciting! For him and you! No more crib! And even though you were sad as you felt like you were losing your baby, the prospects of what was to come and the thrill of your growing child was enough to keep the anxiety at bay. For the most part.
Well.....that was then.I had been saying for a few years now that when Little Boy turned 13 I was going to redecorate his room and move him into a bigger bed. So here we are, right at the cusp of that birthday, I still wasn't ready to face it. Not the moving. Not the purchasing. And really, not the birthday.
But on Saturday morning, without warning to him or myself, I jumped and got started on renovating the room. Little Boy has taken it well and has actually been happy playing in the new room and even enjoyed sleeping on his mattress lying flat on the floor last night. He has become a better sport about most things. Even better than his mom. I've always found work and purpose, staying on task as a way of not thinking about the larger issues at hand. Ask anyone close to me if this is not annoying.
The old twin bed. Waiting patiently on the carport for its new owners. The new queen size will be coming in this week. A new bed for a growing boy. I'm not quite ready, but really, what can I do but go with it? Watching the kids grow up is hard for typical parents, I know. But with this extra layer of fear and uncertainty, it is always a little bit harder for me. But for now, I'm going to try to concentrate on the simple things, like this bed and not on the bigger decisions that will come down the road. Those things will all come soon enough.


