Skip to main content

Mad Men Finale Tonight.......What I Learned from Mad Men

Okay, I gotta be honest here.  I wasn't interested in Mad Men at first. 
 It seemed like a "man's show" to me.  And not just any man's show. 
The kind of show that the kind of men that I don't like would watch. 
(My first husband watched it.) 
 
But then something happened that sparked my interest, I don't remember what, and I was hooked.  And I have to be even more honest.  I don't think it has always been awesome.  This last season especially has really been a drag.  But I have faith in Matt Weiner that he won't let us down and will really pull this out big time tonight.  And despite all of my bitchy criticism,
I must admit it has been one of the best shows on television in my lifetime. 
That and The Sopranos.  (No small coincidence there.) 
 
 
So here I go with the list of things I learned from Mad Men:
 
 
 
Rich, creative white guys sit alone and think an awful lot.
 
 
It was hard being a strong woman in the all boys club.  Even with a body and a brain.
 
 
Not all 60's fashion was awesome.
 
 
I'm grateful that women fought the war of the sexes for me and made my work life much
safer, and in many ways, easier.
 
 
As a mother, there's not much an afternoon cocktail can't cure.
 
 
As a secretary, a cigarette will do the trick.
 
 
If you're gonna lose your shit, why not with one of your biggest clients?
 
 
The right attitude could take you all the way from Brooklyn to your own office with a
view and a title....it just might take some time.
 
 
Even with all the scenes in high-rise offices, there were still hippies in the 60's.
 
 
And creative types still often had the hardest go of it.
 
 
Parenting wasn't any easier or harder back then, but may have involved less psychology.
 
 
Some office affairs may actually bring a sweet dividend.
 
 
And some are even sweeter because they never crossed that line.
 

Some people are always outrunning a name.
 

 
Some people are always outrunning a past.
 
 
Women.....goddamm......what a lot of trouble.
 
 
At least some things are easier today.
 
 
British people are fun to work with!
 
 
Having a partner in crime......
 
 
Can sometimes make all the difference.
 
 
It's not as easy as it looks.  None of it.  It never is.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...